Sunday 10 June 2007

A time to write...

Hi once again,

I hope you have been enjoying using the meditation from the previous blog entry. I know I have. I love to meditate. When I teach meditation I often talk about and get students to experience dancing meditations and walking meditations. I have come across something new – well new to me. 'Writing meditations!'

For years I have been writing into a journal – sometimes daily sometimes a little more sporadically. At most of my workshops I talk about journaling and often get students to spend time noting down how they felt during particular sessions. In my one to ones I encourage journaling as it helps in the healing and transformation process. Why..? Well in my view it helps to ANCHOR experiences. This means it can help to ground your experience. If you have had some revelations about yourself, situation, work, life purpose, emotional state etc. it is good to bring them into your life and to record your insights. Work with them, allow them to grow and flow into your life. However in the magic way the journal also helps to PURGE and RELEASE things. It enables things to be completed and/or released. The sheer act of writing them can resolve your experience of them, it is like your own magic companion! It cannot act in the opposite way that it needs to as it is bound by some Universal magic and a secret formulae that it only shares with other journals! – Okay sounds slightly off the wall, but you need to experience the joy of journaling in order to understand how mystical the experience can be.

I have recently picked up a book by Julia Cameron – The Artist’s Way (see on the right hand side if you are interested in your own copy!) Well in this work book part of the process is what Julia calls the ‘morning pages.’ This involves setting ones alarm earlier than usual (aaargh…I am going to find that a challenge to sustain) and to write 3 pages in your journal no matter what and on anything. The thing is to not read it back not try and analyse it, share it or edit it! It is simply about the process. Having done this only for a few days, I am finding it really liberating. My normal journal pattern has been in the evening, but in the morning, done in this way it feels like an ‘energy shower.’ I feel energetically clean and I have to say my solar plexus chakra seems to be shedding pent up angst, fear, resistance etc. It simply sets me up for the day. Do you not think it is amazing that you can change something already so powerful into something so awesome by making what appears to be a small change….? This is a specific type of journaling where you write about anything it does not have to be about ones psyche, emotions, deep thoughts it can be frivolous, fun, as well as serious and deep. Unlike other journaling experiences Julia says that you should not read them – although I have to say I rarely seem to re-read my journals, I just write them! I write them for me not for anyone else.

Julia in her book compares this morning practice to a meditation and at first I thought ‘hmm…possibly.’ Well let me tell you it is. It is a wonderful way to focus ones mind, release things that don’t serve, gain clarity and remove the blocks that we have on our path. I always feel so excited when I am able to add either a new tool, or a new level of understanding to a tool I already have “in my spiritual tool box.” Those of you who have worked with me will now that I have always said that meditation is not a separate practice it is a way of life, as is the true essence of Yoga in my belief.

If you are not already journaling why don’t you try it? You don’t have to spend money on a fancy journal yet (of course you can if you want to.) Why not just use some A4 paper and create your own book, see how you feel with it. For me, fancy books have always been a must, but then I have a big thing for stationary.

Well I am so thankful that I am able to recapture my journaling habit and take it to the next level. I hope that you are able to join the journaling revolution.

Until the next time, keep on journaling while enjoy the glorious sunshine.

Wishing you all much love, growth, creativity and transformation.

Sarupa XXX

No comments: